Phoenix roebelenii

AliceV30March 31, 2013

We bought a triple palm and are wondering if we can split them up and plant separately. Will that harm the root system? Also how can we prevent the dates from growing or blooming?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcara7

I have two of these growing in pots, which were in the same pot originally. I split them in mid summer and both of them look great still so I'm assuming it can be done since mine were successful. Just be careful and try untangle as many roots as possible trying not to tear. Also if there are any that are to hard to untangle, I have heard its better to cut them the rip them. That's what i did and it worked out for me. As for the other questions I'm really not sure. Good Luck!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 3:40PM
miketropic

you can separate them like stated above, make sure the knife is clean and sterile if you do any cutting. I would bet they are seperate palms anyway and not suckers from one plant so it shouldn't be hard to separate them. to keep the dates from growing whenever you see a flower stalk come out just cut it off. the dates don't appear till after it flowers..no flowers no dates..

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:15PM
orchiddude(+7b ALabama)

I had a big pot of these and took a saw and cut right down the middle, potted them up and they grew fine. There is no way you can untangle roots if you have a big thick root ball. Go for it, they will be ok.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:10PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

Pygmy date palms don't really have "dates." Yes, they bloom and bear fruit but their fruit is more of a small nut, than a date. There really isn't a sure fire way to prevent them from blooming. It's a natural process. It's like saying you want to prevent the wind from blowing lol. Just cut the bloom stalks and you won't ever have to worry about the nut clusters.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™