another cutting question

beth7happyAugust 17, 2009

Finally have blooms on the passi incense! It took 'transporting' LOTS of caterpillars to a wild passi on a nearby fence, but we have blooms! Usually the plants are stripped of EVERY green thing and die. Now, the plant is suckering - many feet from the original plant. Today I pulled up three long pieces - I don't think there is much 'root' there, but there was alot buried under the soil. These pieces are 2 to 3 feet long, have tendril that are grabbing everything closeby. Should I leave the whole piece while rooting or chop it into several pieces? And, any idea about how long before it will throw roots?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eristal(9)

Hello there,

I had a similarly sized P. 'Incense' sucker, (with no real roots, only about 2 inches of whitish underground stem growth, but NOT rhizomatus material), which we usually throw away, but for some reason decided to see what would happen if we stuck it in a pot and watered it. We yanked it forcefully from the ground, stuck it in a planter with some soil and perlite, and pretty much ignored it. Well, that was about a month ago, and it is now growing quite well. Anyone want it?

I have yet to attempt normal cuttings of this vine, as there has never really been a reason to other than to experiment. As soon as I run out of things that I need to propagate for other reasons, I'll probably try it. The worst thing that happens is nothing.

Good luck!
Eric

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 6:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beth7happy

Thanks, Eric, for the response. I have the cuttings in water right now, but since there are three, I think that I may put at least one into some soil in a pot. I like your take on 'the worst thing that happens is nothing'!!!

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
lindamarie
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™