perennial leek from southern exposure seed

wulfletons(Zone 7a)June 21, 2013

I tried a search and didn't see this...please forgive me if this has been discussed before. I am planning the fall garden. Leeks, shallots, kohlrabi, and celeriac are all pretty hard to find in the grocery stores out here, so we want to try to grow these. I noticed that southern exposure sells sells oepri perennial leeks and was wondering if anyone has grown these, or if anyone had any general words of leek wisdom. Thanks!
Krista
/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Krista,

I am unfamiliar with their perennial leek. However, I have leeks in my garden which come up every year. I was given them about two or three years ago and have not yet harvested any. But they do come up every year and look pretty good.

George

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 7:24AM
wulfletons(Zone 7a)

Thanks, George!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 8:32AM
wulfletons(Zone 7a)

Thanks, George!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:27AM
bettycbowen(7)

Maybe by perennial the are referring to the old practice of cutting them off & replanting the root part. Saw on PBS a long time ago, maybe the old Victory Garden.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 1:59PM
iraacorn(7)

Krista,

Our leek is a true perennial. The individual leeks stay small unless separated. Eating quality is best from late fall to early spring. Like other leeks only the covered portion of the shank is white. We got our start from Tim Miller of Millberg Farm in Texas. The leeks die back in summer which is good for the type of dry land farming Tim does. It also makes it easy to ship dry bulbs to customers in the Fall.
You might also be interested in Yellow Potato Onions, White Multipliers, Grey Griselle Shallots or other unusual Alliums we offer at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.
Thanks, Ira for Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Exposure Perennial Leek

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:59AM
Alym17

I bought the perennial leek bulbs from SE in the fall of 2012 and planted them in a raised bed. All bloomed and the bumble bees are still feasting on the seeds. Also the bulbs made many of the little pearls which are delicious, if difficult to peel. I also planted their shallots, garlic, walking, bunching and potato onions. Except for the shallots which all rotted, everything bloomed. I was especially pleased that the potato onions bloomed and seeded because I planted three bulbs and got three plants. My garlic did well. Eastern Carolina has had bad gardening weather this year.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
We're Having All Four Seasons of Weather This Week!
This is your warning that this week's weather is going...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Former Oklahoma Forum member in the news
We miss Diane and Steve, but can get an update here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHCFqjxpuPY&list=UU8-Th83bH_thdKZDJCrn88g...
soonergrandmom
Cactus ID help
Can anyone identify this for me? It started growing...
jmichigan
Weed ID
(so I know I promised to never complain again, so I'm...
Lisa_H OK
tornados
I am so freakin sick of tornados!
Amanda Odom
Sponsored Products
King 300TC Fitted Sheet - BLUE
$200.00 | Horchow
Bover | Ferrara 2 Luces Pendant Light
YLighting
Tickled Country Bear and Bird Cast Resin Garden Statue - WAC468
$24.59 | Hayneedle
Trunk Pendant by Studio Italia Design