Pygmy Date Winter Protection???

palmetto-pal(7)March 20, 2009

I have a Pygmy Date palm i got at a Kmart for $14! heres a pic. it isnt this big because i cut it back a little. it is in a pot in my garage for winter but it rotted along with a butia a friend gave me! :( i poured Daconil Fungal Killer in them and my friend says they should come back. if they do, i plan to separate one of the trunks from the clump of Pygmy Dates and try it in the ground and see if i could get them to live where i do. whatwould i have to use as protection? i dont think i would be interested in making a mini greenhouse. i was thinking about tying the leaves up and wrapping the whole thing in clear plastic wrap and putting mulch at the bottom. would this work??? i hope it does. i think they are so pretty and it would be great if they could live where i do!!! also, if anyone has any pics they would like to share, please do.

Pygmy Dates

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cali-wanna-b

Pal,
Not sure where you are located, but unless you live in a 9a+ area, you are not going to have a PDP survive without major protection. I had serious leaf damage at 29*F Last fall.

Craig

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 10:06PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I think even Craig's suggestion of z9a is a long shot (zone 9a mean lows in the low 20s). They are not frost tolerant, so anything below 32 would damage it severely. I'm in zone 9b and I throw a sheet over mine on cold nights in winter to keep the frost off (but keep in mind we stay in the low 30s all winter long)

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 12:54AM
xentar_gw

I'm in a zone that changes every few years from 8b to 9a, and one year, I didn't have my greenhouse setup to keep my pygmy palms in for the winter. All but one died, and that was at about 23 degrees. The one that survived lived for 2-3 more years on its own in the ground, dying back to the ground during each winter freeze, but when it hit 18 degrees this year, I think it's safe to say that it isn't going to come back. This freeze got my majesty palm too, after it surviving through several of our winters.

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Help! What is wrong with my Windmill Palm?
My windmill palm is approximately 6 yrs old. Today...
lulupalooza06
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™