blooms not opening

mudyfoot(z 7/8 DFW)May 13, 2005

I have a peony that someone gave me in a swap early this spring. I planted it in full sun with rich well drained soil. It has had several buds on it for well over a month now that don't seem to be growing or opening.

Any advice to get this thing blooming?

mudyfoot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlove(z5-6)

Maybe it could use some fertilization?...perhaps with a zero nitrogen formula for blooms and root growth, rather then growth of the Foliage(which is what Nitogen would do, sometimes at the expense of blooms)?...Have you had some cold snaps?..maybe thats keeping them at bay...I have a potted Peony that has two buds on it that are not opening either....but its been cold one day, very warm the next, so maybe its confused. I just fed it and will see what happens..take care...GardenLove

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 2:58AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Sometimes they take a long time to open. In your case, the plant is most likely concentrating on growing roots and you may lose the buds this year.

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 9:10AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

There's a very good chance that those buds will never open this year because it was moved and planted at this time of year. But there is an equally good chance that they will bloom next year, assuming they are planted at the proper depth.

Bookmark   May 13, 2005 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™