Orange Peonies

bernergarden(Ohio Zone 6)May 18, 2009

I am newer to Peonies and was wondering if there are any that are a true orange color. I have seen lighter orange and yellows, but would like to know if there is a brighter orange out there. If so, can you post or send me photos and the names of the variety? Thank you.

Daniel

Ohio

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

There is a man called Harold Entsminger from Cut Bank, Montana that grows his own oranges. I have seen pictures of some of his blooms and they vary in color. I do not think you will ever see bright orange but will see orange varigations.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 4:38PM
goodhors(z5 MI)

My Cora Fay is in the coral shades. Petals can vary a bit on the flowers.

Never heard of orange peonies before. Interesting that someone has bred some.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 10:15PM
maifleur01

Here is a link to Carsten's site showing a peony that is not in commerce but has a garden name of Pixie.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange peony

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 12:52AM
dlorah

I have true orange peonies in singles to semi-doubles some are orange with yellow edges, orange with red flairs.named bodacious orange and vivid orange e-mail me for pictures and prices at herr_old@yahoo.com

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 5:59PM
lactifloralunatic

Oh my gosh! I would love to get my hands on an orange peony!

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 3:44PM
aggiegrad(5)

gilbert wild & sons have a coral & gold peony for 15.00 for sale right now. it's gorgeous. it's probably as close to orange as your going to get. check out their website.

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 2:05PM
peonyman(Zone 5, Lawrence, Ks)

I doubt that you will ever see a true orange in a herbaceous peony. There is no herbaceous peony that even approaches orange. It seems that yellow is the missing component in the herbaceous color range. An orange tree peony perhaps is a different story. So far every tree peony I have seen may look somewhat orange from a distance but when you closely examine the petals you find there is yellow overlayed with red or dark pink. It seems the two colors don't mix in the blossom. Most people believe that the yellow pigment exist in a different layer than red pigment. I will believe an orange peony when I see it.

Just think of the possibilities if you could just have peonies in every color in a Crayola box.

Vivid violet, Royal purple, Purple heart, Plum, Navy Blue, Midnight Blue, ... The colors go on and on and on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crayola - all the colors in the world.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™