Closing Fronds

earthworm73(WA z8)March 5, 2012

I had a couple of young palms that were starting to close a couple of fronds. I was suspicious that the soil in their pots was holding too much water. When I checked I was right and the young palms were starting to have root rot I think. Anyway I changed the soil and I am much happier with how it drains. My question is now that the problem seems to be corrected will the fronds re-open?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Are these date palms by chance? How long ago were they replanted? How does new, center growth look? If it's been more than a couple of days, I would not expect them to reopen. Date. Palm fronds will start to fold up if water stressed, but will reopen within a short period of time after being watered.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 2:15PM
earthworm73(WA z8)

nj nope they are not date palms. They are a brahea clara and a sabal bermudana. One was re-potted yesterday and the other this morning. I know it wouldn't be in the next day or two but I was thinking maybe a week.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 3:12PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

My coconut palms get like this when they are underwatered but they always perk up as soon as I give them a soaking. Not sure if overwatering causes the same problem, but if it is rot that is cauing the fronds to close then those fronds might not open up again. But new fronds might still grow from the center!
Do you have any pics of it?

Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 3:12PM
us_marine

Now I aint sure if I have experience with root rot or heating coil failure, probably heating coil failure... Anyway, I would think a huge sign of root rot would be seen when you transplanted your palm. How did the roots look? Also how strong are they? I would think you should see signs of dying and/or dead roots along with a palm that is very wobbly.

Hope your palm recovers from whatever it is. :) Good luck
- US_Marine

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 3:56PM
earthworm73(WA z8)

TZ here are the photos you asked for. The first pic is on the day I got them and potted them up for comparison. As you can see all of the leaves were fully opened.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 4:02PM
islandbreeze

Could it be cold damage?

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 12:18AM
earthworm73(WA z8)

ib yeah it could. I know that terra cotta pot is cold and takes a while to warm up. And the other pot is a thin cheap one. Couple that with wet soil and yeah I could see that cold could contribute.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Trimming Cycad Fronds
I have two King Sago Palms, in pots, in my enclosed...
mamaheel
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™