bottle palms enjoying full afternoon sun

andyandy(6bMI)March 12, 2012

I should have bent down to get a better picture but here are my two bottle palms. I can't remember just how old they are but I'm thinking this will be their 4th or 5th summer. I do remember I started them indoors in the winter. You can see a potted Sable Minor, Butia, and some filiferas in the background as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HardyPalmFreak((7b)(Bronx, NY))

BEAUTIFUL PALMS! I hope to own two of these by the summer! Great JOB!

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 5:33PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Very nice bottle palms. They are definitely starting to get a "bottled trunk"! Im sure they are really loving the warm weather!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 5:45PM
islandbreeze

Bottle palms really look awesome the older they get. Just be careful of sunburn. I had 2 Spindle palms that got sunburn EVERY year if they were put in full sun. I ended up getting rid of them because they couldn't take the light.

Can I ask where you got your sabal minor? Also, did your butia see some cold damage? It looks stunted.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 3:05PM
andyandy(6bMI)

Thank you all

Island Breeze-
I honestly don't remember where I got the Sabal. I know i had it shipped about 4 years ago. The Butia strugled in some cool wet weather last Spring. I almost wrote it off but it made a nice comeback this winter. I;m not too worried about sun burn because the UV index is only 4 where it will be 10 by mid-June. I took everything out last night and if the weather people are right they will be out for a week until we cool down next Thursday. I think they got their first taste of rain water since fall this morning. I couldn't believe how mild last night was. i slept with the window open. it was 56 at 5:30 this morning.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™