!st Tree Peony

teganMay 16, 2006

Hello,

I have grown herbaceous peonies for years but have just purchased my first tree peony-- Koukamon. I feel a little silly asking this question but, after hours of searching on the internet, I cannot seem to find the answer I am looking for...Do tree peonies grow on a single upright stem-- in other words, are they "tree-like" in appearance ( having a trunk with branching foliage) simmiliar to tree (standard )roses ? Or are they multi-stemmed looking more like herbaceous peonies? I am trying to plan out the surrounding plantings for my new front garden. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Depending on how you plant them you can have either. The stem will have several dormant branches that can put up new growth if the plant wants to. If you plant the tp at an angle in the ground you can have a wider plant with a more shrub like appearance and also more blooms. If you plant upright and keep all new growth from the ground surface pruned you can have a single trunked small tree. Either way you go plant your tp deeper than it was in the pot for better and stronger growth. Similar to a tomato plant roots along with stems should come out of the buried stem making a more robust plant. Put a little mulch around your baby after planting to keep the ground cool this summer and do not forget to protect it from rabbits and deer this winter.

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 12:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tegan

Thank you so much...great advice.

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Looking for fernleaf peony
I am looking for Fern leaf peony double flower. Can...
bunti
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™