!st Tree Peony

teganMay 16, 2006

Hello,

I have grown herbaceous peonies for years but have just purchased my first tree peony-- Koukamon. I feel a little silly asking this question but, after hours of searching on the internet, I cannot seem to find the answer I am looking for...Do tree peonies grow on a single upright stem-- in other words, are they "tree-like" in appearance ( having a trunk with branching foliage) simmiliar to tree (standard )roses ? Or are they multi-stemmed looking more like herbaceous peonies? I am trying to plan out the surrounding plantings for my new front garden. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Depending on how you plant them you can have either. The stem will have several dormant branches that can put up new growth if the plant wants to. If you plant the tp at an angle in the ground you can have a wider plant with a more shrub like appearance and also more blooms. If you plant upright and keep all new growth from the ground surface pruned you can have a single trunked small tree. Either way you go plant your tp deeper than it was in the pot for better and stronger growth. Similar to a tomato plant roots along with stems should come out of the buried stem making a more robust plant. Put a little mulch around your baby after planting to keep the ground cool this summer and do not forget to protect it from rabbits and deer this winter.

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 12:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tegan

Thank you so much...great advice.

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Itoh peony Early Arrival
I purchased this plant 5 years ago, from a reputable...
beverlymnz4
cumulus_nimbus
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
Sponsored Products
Moose Lodge 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Promise St. Thomas Red Rug (5'2 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
St. James Outdoor Loveseat, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
River City Clocks MD868-13 Boy and Girl on Seesaw Musical Cottage Cuckoo Clock M
Hayneedle
St. Paul Bathroom Brentwood 36 in. Vanity in Amber with 37 in. Cultured Marble
Home Depot
Blue Abstract Floral Birdbath
$39.99 | zulily
St. Francis Garden Statue - R-046-GS
$529.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Blossom Beige/Multi 2 ft. 3 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™