Mislabeled Itoh at Home Depot

graycrna4uMay 11, 2014

Yesterday, I got excited at HD when I went in because I saw a beautiful red peony with a sign in front that read Itoh Peony, perennial, $29.99. It would have been a bargain at that size and that price. But as I looked more closely, it was obviously a Red Charm herbaceous hybrid peony. When I told the sales staff, they didn't really seem to care or understand the difference between herbaceous, itoh, and/or tree peonies. Just be careful with how the plants are labeled. Some people interchange the terms hybrid peony with intersectional or Itoh peony. They are not the same thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jadie88(7 MD)

They may have had the signage switched...HD and Lowes are both selling Bartzella at that size and price. I grabbed one and currently have 5 beautiful blooms going' on. :)

It's really wrong that they don't pay more attention to what they are stocking and how it's labelled. If those weren't in bloom, you might have been taken in...and someone with less expertise probably would anyway.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 8:18AM
graycrna4u

I went back to Home Depot today, and under the Itoh Peony sign, they had many Bartzella Itoh plants (3 feet high by 2 feet wide) for $29.99. The manager saw me and asked if he got it right this time. I bought one.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 8:13PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Yeah, those big box places aren't the most knowledgable, but they are great for the occasional "find." My Bartzella from Lowes has been getting attention from all the neighbors. :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Unexpectedly moving Peonies in Nov in zone 6B/7
So instead of moving in a few years, we'll be moving...
portia
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™