Trouble with my passiflora, can you help?

prairiemoon2 z6 MASeptember 15, 2006

Hi,

I bought a passiflora from Logees over the winter. I kept it going indoors until the warm weather and have had it outside in a large container with other plants all summer. It has not been looking good and I have no idea what is wrong with it. The leaves have a yellow underbase color. Not actually the whole leave being yellow, but a yellow tinge to it is as best I can describe it. It grew but it didn't bloom, and now I am getting ready to take it in the house and not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

How much light did it get outside & did it ever get any fertilizer?

For inside living over the winter I'm kinda partial to the 22 watt circline lights- warm or cool white, doesn't really matter. (we're not growin' dope in the closet here..)
I put a stick in the middle of the pot & hang the bulb from it- that way as the plant grows I can raise the bulb.

A cheap light timer is usually $5.

For a couple years I had 7 decalobas in 1 pot in a not-very-bright window. Everyone's happy & growing well. Once a month I give 'em standard strength miracle grow- either grow, bloom or rose, whichever's cheapest at the store. There's a bulb hangin' above them but I only turn it on in the winter.

If you want you can make a little reflector for above that bulb as 1/2 the light goes up & is thus useless.. I just used cardboard with foil spray glued on, shiny-side out. 'Course foil is aluminum which conducts electricity rather well so standard "don't be a dumbass" warnings apply, s'pecially around something you're going to be pouring water nearby.

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 12:03PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Hi krstofer,

Sorry it took so long to respond, but we have had a crazy week or so. Outside it was sitting in about 5 hrs of sun. No it never got fertilized all season. I have a West window that I can grow it in during the winter, would that be enough? How do you know if it is not getting enough light? Yes, I have to do better with the fertilizing.

Thanks
:-)

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 2:30AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

When they don't get enough light they start to "stretch".. Lotsa vine, not so many leaves.. Sometimes I'll get one of those 20 watt circline bulbs & hang it above the plant on a timer. Works great. Until it climbs all over & thru the bulb causing a nitemare of de-tangling come spring & time to take it back outside..

Just mix up some weak fertilizer-water & use that- then there's no "when did I do this last?" conundrums.

I have 7 or 8 decalobas in 1 pot- They were unhappy & not doing anything untill I started the fertilizer water 2 weeks ago.. Have put on about a foot since then.
The 2 I have out on the deck are turning yello & have stopped growing- because of the cold I think. Every time I see them I say "better bring them in" but I need to ferret-proof them (the kids LOVE to "help") & find a spot near a window.. Just haven't had time.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™