couple of questions- 1st peony

cat2(z6 CT)May 5, 2005

I recently received my first peony at a plant swap- it's probably either a Mons. Jules Eli or a Felix Crousse. I'm in Connecticut, and I understand they need a lot of sun, one of those round/meshed peony supports, and that it won't bloom this year. I've looked up some information and have learned enough to have questions.

1. Since they attract ants, should I not plant it in a bed right next to the house?

2. Do they really dislike being moved so much?

3. When and for how long do they typically bloom?

4. How big/wide do they usually get?

5. Do they do ok in sandy soil? And if I put a bit of compost or potting soil in with it, will it need any additional fertilizing this year or next?

6. After flowering is over, do the greens stay nice until frost, or do they start to turn earlier?

7. How much water the first season?

8. What kind of plants do other people typically put near them?

9. What sorts of diseases and/or wildlife troubles should I watch out for?

1. Is there anything else in particular about them that I should know?

Thanks for the advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Thats a lot of questions. If you are thinking of the peonies keeping ants out of the house, they won't. They are no more resentful of being moved that other perennials, they just don't require moving. Blooming will vary but generally only bloom once per season. With a selection of peonies some early to some late the season is long enough. I allow for about 4 feet tall and wide. In sandy soil adding compost before planting and time release during the season will help make up for the nutrients lost with the water through the sand. The plants look good until frost. Average garden water is needed. Deer will not eat them. Enjoy! Al

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 10:37AM
Kathys999

1. I've never had ants on mine. Spray for ants and plant them where you want them.
2. Peonies like to stay where you put them, unless you put them in the wrong place. If your gonna transplant them, do it always in the fall. Sometimes they won't bloom the next spring.
3. Peonies are known for the grand but too short blooming season. 2 good weeks of color is about the maximum you'll get from them.
4. All depends on which ones you have. The ones I have are from 28" tall, to 36" tall. You have to know the variety you have and look them up.
5. My peonies are'nt paticular about their soil. I plant them with regular potting soil. What they ARE paticular about is the depth they are planted at. NO MORE than 2 inches of dirt on top of them.
6. Peony bushes stay green until fall. In extreme hot and humid weather, they will develope brown spots on them sometimes. If you use a fungicide on them, this will prevent them from developing it.
7. Keep the ground evenly moist, good drainage.
8. My peonies stand alone.
9. I have no wildlife problems, see #6 for foilage weakness.

1. Never plant too deep, never cut off to the ground until after August or fall die back.
    Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 12:22PM
cat2(z6 CT)

thanks.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:30PM
jazzmom516(Zone 7 LI, NY)

Here is a fact sheet on the care of peonies, which should help answer some of your questions. Welcome to the peony addiction club!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonies

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Can peonies handle spring wet?
We moved to a new home a few years ago, and I've finally...
erikarochelle
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
Sponsored Products
Varaluz | Reel 1 Light Wall Sconce
$159.00 | YLighting
Crosley Cambridge 42 in. TV Stand - Vintage Mahogany - KF10003DMA
$259.00 | Hayneedle
Kichler Polygon Oiled Bronze Mirror
PLFixtures
Designers Edge L1730 70-Watt High Pressure Sodium Dusk To Dawn Security Light wi
$58.98 | Hayneedle
Ambella Home Collection - Salone Scuro Buffet - 27028-630-001
Great Furniture Deal
Light-Up Enterprise Crew Wrapped Canvas
$16.99 | zulily
Wild Flower Placemats - Set of 4
| Dot & Bo
Virtu USA VTW-122A-BN Koz+� Collection Towel Warmer in Brushed Nickel
$275.00 | Blue Bath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™