couple of questions- 1st peony
I recently received my first peony at a plant swap- it's probably either a Mons. Jules Eli or a Felix Crousse. I'm in Connecticut, and I understand they need a lot of sun, one of those round/meshed peony supports, and that it won't bloom this year. I've looked up some information and have learned enough to have questions.
1. Since they attract ants, should I not plant it in a bed right next to the house?
2. Do they really dislike being moved so much?
3. When and for how long do they typically bloom?
4. How big/wide do they usually get?
5. Do they do ok in sandy soil? And if I put a bit of compost or potting soil in with it, will it need any additional fertilizing this year or next?
6. After flowering is over, do the greens stay nice until frost, or do they start to turn earlier?
7. How much water the first season?
8. What kind of plants do other people typically put near them?
9. What sorts of diseases and/or wildlife troubles should I watch out for?
- Is there anything else in particular about them that I should know?
Thanks for the advice.