Your experience with the peony called Ludovica or Butch

summerstar(Z7VA)May 13, 2010

I'm trying to decide between planting Ludovica or Butch. Both have a similar violet-red color. Would you write back your experience with either of these plants such as robustness, flopping tendency, etc.

Does anyone know the name of the peony that's on the top right of the Peony Forum? It rather looks like Ludovica.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minotpeonies

I have not grow either but I do collect A.P Saunders and have been meaning to get Ludovica you can read information on both at Carsten Burkhard's web project Paeonia great website.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 8:57PM
maifleur01

Carsten's is always the first place I go to look for information. By now you have probably found out that Ludovica is a short pinkish bloom and Butch is a tall red. I have seen Butch in Don Hollingsworth's fields and there it has straight very masculine stems. Seems like there were fewer stems to each plant but you can see it across the field. I don't remember seeing Ludovica so no personal comment.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 12:26AM
summerstar(Z7VA)

Thanks for the info. After I posted this question here, I read somewhere that Ludovica doesn't take hot summer sun very well. That would tend to eliminate it in my southwest facing border. Butch sounds like a fine plant. Maifleur, your comments that "it has straight very masculine stems" and "it can be seen across the field" makes Butch sound like a very good choice.

I find it SOOOOO hard to decide between plants. May Merrysunshine, a red fernleaf found at Hollingsworth, sounds like a fine plant for my perennial border and am strongly considering that one too. I haven't found any criticisms of it so far.

I may resort to writing all the red peony names I like on small bits of paper, putting them in a hat, and blindfolded, reaching in and picking one! Sigh . . . Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™