leaf wilt - fungicide?

lannegreenelagMay 5, 2008

One of the three peonies I put in last fall has over the last few (very wet rainy) weeks had leaves wilt. There are usually one or two lower leaves wilting on the plant every day or two when I check it. I cut off the affected leaves and discard them. The other two plants within 10 foot of this one don't show this problem. Is this due to the overly wet conditions? What can I do? Do I needa a fungicide if so which one?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

It sounds like it may be Botrytis paeoniae and prevention is suggested, as the curing is removal of the affected tissue. It is a fungus and a Bordeaux spray program is the best preventative. Cold dampness and poor air circulation feeds the fungus and should be avoided if possible. Al

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:34AM
lannegreenelag

Thank you for the reply. Air circulation they have but I can't help the unseasonaly cold/wet air! Are some peonies more resistant or an I just lucky that only one plant is effected?

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:46AM
calistoga_al

I don't think it is a resistance difference in the species but more likely the plants position in the garden. I have had the problem on one plant in a whole row of apparently healthy plants. It appeared to me that plant was being crowded by its neighbors and its air flow was affected. Al

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™