Save a tree peony (tree) - need advice ASAP

desilverMay 24, 2010

Landscape contractor work people inadvertently cut off a struggling 4 year old tree peony several days ago (May 20). I have located the tuber and left it in the ground whilst I search for advice on saving the plant. There is nothing remaining of the foliage or stem - just the tuber. Please offer any suggestions on getting the tuber through the summer alive!

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

The only advice is to plant it deep 6 or so inches below the surface. What you have is the nurse root of a grafted tree peony. Plant in an area that will not be disturbed for several years and mark it well. If you are lucky the tree peony stem that should be inside the bundle of roots will send up a new shoot.

I might also ask for a replacement tree peony from the landscape company if you had pointed out that you did not want that plant disturbed. If you told them nothing you will have to remember next time you had landscaping done.

You should of course point out to the company what a tree peony is so they hopefully will be more careful in the future.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 3:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desilver

Thank you for your response. I'll hope for the best.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™