First year purple passion vine

kelso87September 16, 2011

I recieved a purple passion vine for my birthday in may. at the time it had one vine and one flower. This summer it grew beautifully, all the way to the top of the 4 foot trellis attached to the pot. at least 40 flowers bloomed. I am a first time gardener and need alot of help! My fruit finally turned orange, but were hollow on the inside. Obviously because it wasnt pollunated? frost is coming and i need to know how to bring it inside this winter. Do i cut it back to the main stem? Take cuttings and make new plants for pollunation next year? Do anything with the hollow fruit on the vines right now? Keep it in the basement or window? I would love to do as much as i can with this beautiful plant! Any info is appreciated! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Do you know what the variety is? If it's incarnata you could allow it to go dormant in a garage or cool basement. If it's a tropical/sub-tropical variety I'd cut it back to a manageable size and keep it inside under a grow light. Reduce the amount of water you give it. The worst thing you can do is over water while it's inside. Water only when necessary but I would mist the foliage several times a week to discourage sucking insects like mealies, spider mites, etc. You can try rooting the cuttings. Some varieties are easy to root and others next to impossible. I get hollow fruit on my caeruleas often. You might want to get an unrelated variety for cross pollination.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
OT: Non-Passiflora photos
I know almost all of us grow other things besides Passifloras....
mark4321_gw
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Sponsored Products
Heirloom Photo Album
Home Decorators Collection
Elegant Lighting Chandeliers 37 Light Chandelier Chrome Finish Golden Teak
Home Depot
Pre-owned Sultanabad Collection Tribal Rug - 6'x9'
$980.00 | Chairish
At Home Designs Cosmopolitan Recliner
$799.00 | LuxeDecor
Custom Isabella Upholstered Bed
Home Decorators Collection