peonies in washington DC?

andresca(5a)May 29, 2010

Hi ,

Does anyone have any experience cultivating peonies in Washington DC area?

The climate is pretty good I think - I am more concerned about deers, rabbits and soil conditions.

I noticed mostly azaleas in most of the gardens in DC so I was wondering if there is a reason for not trying other plants.

Thank you,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

There is never a reason other than cost not to try planting what you want unless the plant will spread wildly. Trying things even if you have been told it will not work is how new things are found. One of the reasons you probably do not see peonies is that the season in WDC is past for most peonies. Go to one of the local gardens and look for foliage.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 11:25PM
alina_1

I am in MD, 20 miles from DC. I successfully grow all types of Peonies: Tree Peonies, herbaceous, intersectionals. Virtually care free plants for me.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 1:29AM
andresca(5a)

Thank you so much for your advice,

The peonies would be a gift for my sister - I intended to get a gift card for her.
(last time she planted several rose bushes who were all eaten by the deer and didn't do very well)

Alina, can you recommend a good local nursery or an online store ? - I was thinking at peonygarden.com from Ontario - They grow the old French fragrant peonies - the ones bred by Guerin and Calot , but I think it is always best to buy local.
Thank you

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 9:35AM
alina_1

I bought my Peonies online because local prices are high usually. As far as I remember, Behnke's nursery has (at least, used to have) huge selection of Peonies (both their locations, Beltsville and Potomac).
For online sellers, check out this recent thread. Lots of useful info.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
germinated peony seeds care
Tow seed started germinating about 2 months ago. the...
Cumulus-nimbus
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Unexpectedly moving Peonies in Nov in zone 6B/7
So instead of moving in a few years, we'll be moving...
portia
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™