possums and passiflora

madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)September 24, 2008

Several weeks ago, I posted my hypothesis that passiflora seeds were designed to germinate well only after passing through the intestinal tract of some animal such as a raccoon or a possum. The idea met resistance.

Well, more or less by accident, on the Internet I found a master's thesis written at the University of Canterbury, a New Zealand school. The investigator studied the banana passionflower, P. mollissima (sp?); it has become an invasive weed in that country. One discovery was that, after being eaten by pigs or possums, the recovered seed had a germination rate of around 50%!!!

You gotta admire the devotion of that graduate student, sifting through pig feces to recover seeds! Glad that was not my thesis... though I did work in an area that still had land mines about (the Sinai).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
passionflow(8b)

Hi
An interesting study but they say that ''Seeds germinated readily in all treatments, with no significant difference between cleaned and fleshy seeds, so seeds do not require frugivore (fruit eater) handling to germinate.''
The implication however which they note is that controlling pig and possum distribution may prevent the spread of the plant as it does not seem to be spread by birds.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora seed information

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™