Do passion Vines grow wild?

tglovell(z6KY)September 12, 2007

About a month ago I was at my sister's and I saw a passion vine blooming by her garage, she's not into flowers very much so this surprised me, when I ask her when had she gotten a passion vine she said, "those things are all over the place, I didn't plant any of them, sure enough I got to looking and she had them coming up in four or five different places, of course I helped myself to them, dug up the root ball as best I could, took it home, kept it watered good and now it is about a foot tall and doing fine. My sister said she had first noticed them coming up along a creek bank that runs behind their house and had thought what a pretty bloom but had not brought any to the house, so birds must have carried the seeds, but I didn't know they just grew wild. Any one know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Passiflora incarnata grows wild all over the southeastern United States - Kentucky is probably along the northern limits, I'm not sure. It spreads underground by runners, and if you plant some, it'll eventually grow everywhere but where you planted it, so I hope you planted it in a spot where it can spread. The flowers vary somewhat on the same vines and a good bit from place to place - here's a picture of a flower I took from a vine I started from a rooted cutting of the local p. incarnata/maypops -

Sherry

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Sponsored Products
Galvanized Metal Bucket Planter Set
$89.99 | zulily
Honey Can Do HMP-01367 Double Resin Hamper
Overstock.com
Cicatrices De Luxe 8 Suspension by Flos Lighting
$6,495.00 | Lumens
Simple Designs Lamps 18.50 in. Twisted Vine Black Table Lamp with Brown Shade
$19.99 | Home Depot
Wooden Stepladder
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Wild Flowers Burgundy 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
Moda 2 Bowl by Bacchus Glass
$1,620.00 | Lumens
Divi Satin Nickel Three-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Black Dicro Vine G
$517.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™