Soil temp

morugamanJanuary 30, 2014

I have a question about cold soil temps. My peppers have been in a box in my basement for 3 months and my basement is about 55 degrees. The air temp wasn't that cold but I know that the cement under the wood was very cold causing my soil temps to be a bit cold as well. Most my plants have been growing very slow and I'm assuming my plants growth has been stunned. If I put them in a warmer environment can they spring back to normal growing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomt226

Try to keep your soil temp as close to 80 degrees as possible.
Get a sheet of 3/4" foil covered insulation and cut pieces out and set your plants on that IF you don't have room to elevate them off the floor.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 5:56AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think the plants grow slowly in cooler air and soil and it is not necessarily a stunt case. We know that tomatoes can grow in cooler spring weather at temperatures down to 40F. Pepper, depending on the variety, might be better off with a bit higher temperatures.

Basement ground temperature, depending on depth and geology of the location, can have at a temperature in the range of 50F to 60F all year round. The concrete floor might feel cooler to touch but it should be the same if was natural ground.. Unless you keep your basement heated, there shouldn't be any heat loss to the ground but actually ground should be warmer than the air.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 6:08AM
morugaman

I live in Minnesota and it has been in the negatives a lot or just low digits.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 11:54AM
woohooman

There is a point in growth where they seem to stall for awhile. But yes, it does seem a bit too cool. Try to keep them in the 70's, high 60's at the least.

I have found that the heat generated from the shoplights keeps them warm enough as long as the ambient temps are too low.

I would prop them up off of the cold concrete.

Kevin

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 2:03PM
morugaman

Thanks guys. I sacrificed my closet upstairs and it stays above 70 in here.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
potting peppers: ideal growing medium and container size
this will be my second year trying to grow hot peppers,...
tcleigh
Pepper Received in Trade - Yellow Beddin???
Does anyone know of a pepper named Yellow Beddin or...
hillseeker
Poblano question
I live in central oklahoma. I garden in well amended...
scottcalv
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™