Bermuda Grass Toxic To Some Texas Cattle

Okiedawn OK Zone 7June 30, 2012

I've always said "bermuda grass is evil", though I actually am just referring to the frustration of trying to keep it from invading ornamental and vegetable beds.

However, in Texas there has been a bermuda grass toxicity issue lately with some cattle that grazed on the grass. This is, so far, believed to be an isolated incident.

Since some of us live in areas with lots of ranching, and some members of this forum do have livestock, I thought I'd link the brief article below that mentions the bermuda grass toxicity issue.

I know that you can have issues with some other grasses being toxic at times, but this is the first time I've heard of this occurring with bermuda grass.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Bermuda Grass Toxic To Cattle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheri_ok(6)

I remember when i first bought my horses, reading that there can be serious problems with horses eating Bermuda, but I don't remember why exactly. That has always stuck in my mind. I need to figure out what I'm going to plant for my horses next year when we get moved to our land, anybody have any ideas? We are only going to have 4 acres.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Wave Pansy Giveaway
Enter through this Sunday, March 1st. 45 randomly-selected...
shankins123
Row cover - best brand, where to order?
Hi everyone, I want to order some row cover. I want...
canokie
2015 Spring Fling Anyone?
It must be so. I've reserved a porta-potty and marked...
p_mac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™