First Peony how to plant?

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)May 11, 2014

I bought an Alexander Fleming peony from Lowes today. First one ever! Now, I don't know a darned thing about peonies so maybe someone can chime in?

It came potted in a gallon pot. How do I plant it out? I do have a mostly sunny spot already chosen with good drainage. Do I plant it out like other potted plants, just dig the hole and plant? lol

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

I believe that you can plant it now provided that you disturb the root as little as possible. I planted a potted itoh peony in April and it is doing fine.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 7:20PM
lizbest1(5)

Make sure you don't plant it any deeper than it is in the pot. You might want to brush the potting soil away gently from the base of the stems and make sure it isn't in the pot too deep to begin with, probably 1 - 1 1/2 inches from the top of the root to the surface of the dirt in your zone. You can plant a potted peony any time from spring on to fall, you'll just have to water more often until it gets established. Until then it'll probably droop enough to make you worry whenever it gets really hot but don't panic; it'll perk right back up as the temps drop in the evening. Just water at ground level in the early morning or evening or whenever you see it drooping too much. Good luck with your new peony! Alexander Fleming is supposed to be really fragrant and it sure is pretty!

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 10:31PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Thanks! I will make sure to plant it at ground level.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:21AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Sometimes a potted peony sold at this time of year is terribly root bound. I bought one a few years ago and when unpotted it was so tight, the pot needed to be cut off, I did not want to disturb the roots, so planted as it was. I had to put an emitter directly on the root ball to keep it alive until the cool weather of the fall would allow it to be dug up and the roots to be opened up, and replanted at the correct height for this area. I hope yours was in better condition. Al

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
Peony pinching or deadheading
I picked up a peony in a planting pot that had about...
purslanegarden
dividing peonies
We are having a mild, dry January. Would it be a bad...
kAli6275
Sponsored Products
Rise Above Plant Stand
| Dot & Bo
Uttermost Moth Orchid Planter
Beyond Stores
Red Carpet Studios Cosmix Reverse Acrylic Small Spinner - 30991
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Vegetable Garden Stakes Sticky Page Flag Book - Set of Two
$8.99 | zulily
Laura Ashley 82-inch Tall Areca Palm Tree in Fiberstone Planter
Overstock.com