I in the process of moving and have a peony that was my great grandfathers. It's just getting ready to bloom and I would like to move it to my new house. Can I transplant it after it's done blooming and what is the procedures?
Hi Bob -- I am new to the forum but I have been researching the same subject as I have two 4 ft x 4 ft bunches that are ready to bloom that I need to move. I am no expert and will wait for the PEONISTS to advise but here is an old thread that may help us -- Basically, spring division or moving is dicey and may disrupt blooming or be unsuccessful altogether.
Fall seems best but lets hear from the experts!!
Yes it is better to move them when dormant, but if you do not have that choice, you can move them anytime. You should expect to pay a price, at least a possibility of no bloom for a year or two. If done with care you should not ever lose a plant. Al