ID this passion vine please,

fluffybonbon(9)October 5, 2009

Hi ,I came across this section about passiflora.

I planted the passion vine for several years but don't know the name .

Is it vine ever has seed.If this vine can grow from seed.Please help me how to collect seed .Please see pic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I have no idea but it's very pretty. A pic of the foliage and leaf stem might help the passie experts give you an ID if they can't give it to you from just the bloom.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 1:08PM
fluffybonbon(9)

Karyn, this vine attracted butterfly and humming bird.
If you want cutting lmk.
Joy

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 1:16PM
mark4321_gw

Joy,

Do you remember where you got it?

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 6:59PM
fluffybonbon(9)

I purchased this plant from a Japanese nursery in Cupertino,
about 7 years ago.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:32PM
mark4321_gw

That would be Yamagami's?

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:37PM
pshawn(9B, California)

I've got one of these too. Can't ID it, but can tell you it makes fruit if you put caerulea or Constance Elliot pollen on it...

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 10:22PM
eristal(9)

Unless I'm losing my mind, (which IS possible), that is Passiflora x violacea, which is a very old hybrid of P. racemosa and P. caerulea. It does not have viable pollen, but can create fruits, (though not tasty), and viable seeds which will grow into new plants with some characteristics of the paternal parent as well. I have never had this vine create fruits without human intervention, though as you say, the wildlife loves it.

We have 3 hybrids with this as the mother, one of which just bloomed last month. I posted pictures on this forum labeled "Crystal's first hybrid", or something to that nature. Check it out when you get a chance. I'm proud of our "kids".

Hope this helps...

Eric

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 7:56PM
eristal(9)

Oops! Okay, I am going out of my mind. Not about which plant that is... it is definitely P. x violacea, (probably form 4). What I was wrong about is our hybrid. The one I pointed you toward is P. amethystina x (P. loefgrenii x P. caerulea). The one I was thinking of bloomed back in May, (my hybrid), which is P. x violacea x P. caerulea. I also put pictures up on this forum, and titles it something like "My first hybrid".

Sorry about the confusion.

Eric

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 8:43PM
Dan8fruit

Looks like a passiflora 'Victoria' to me... My neighbors have one vine just like the one in the picture on their front yard fence. I tried to get it identified too. There's a photo I took of the vine. I think it resembles it a lot!

Hope this was helpful,

Daniel

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 12:05PM
ily68

I bought this passion vine, the tag only said Blue Passion Vine. I love the flower, but would love to know the correct name of it. I would like to know also, if it's a host plant for butterflies. Thank you.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:32PM
mark4321_gw

This looks like P. alatocaerulea, aka P. 'Belotii', aka P. 'Pfortii', the hybrid of P. alata and P. caerulea.

I think I've seen requests for ID'ing this hybrid perhaps more than any other. Perhaps this says something about how well the plant grows and blooms.

There are a whole bunch of these planted in front of a shopping area (Safeway, etc.) in Menlo Park, CA. They are always full of flowers. I'm going over there today; if I remember I'll take a photo.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 4:08PM
ily68

Thank you for answering me. I looked up the name you gave me, and it looks a lot like it. Now I know what it is, and that it's a host plant too. Thanks again.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™