Windmill Palms and Pool

millers5285March 28, 2009

I recently planted 2 Windmill palms about 2 1/2 ft from my pool. The pool cement/gunite is 12" thick. Are these palms too close to the pool? Will the palm roots or rootball damage the pool? Also, as you can see I'm re0doing the landscape. What is a good ground cover or something else I could put down on the dirt besides mulch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millers5285

Here is a pic of the palms and pool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windmill Palm

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 5:10PM
trachyhead(z8b SE England)

Miller, your trachies will be fine as the roots are not invasive and certainly would not cause your a problem bearing in mind the pool wall in 12" think.

What about laying some root membrane over the dirt and covering with pebbles? This would stop any crap getting into your pool.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 5:24PM
millers5285

Thanks for the comments about the roots!! I'm trying to stay away from mulch and rocks/pebbles.....I have dogs and they run everywhere and the pebbles would be all over. Maybe some kind of ground cover...monkey grass???

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 7:44PM
jayinflorida(USDA9)

You're concrete will be fine. Palms are not actually trees and their roots will do no harm.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 9:51PM
jimhardy

There are quite a few sedum that flower most of the summer or Delosperma cooperi is a great one that flowers all summer,very beautiful g/cover,heres a pic of D.cooperi(ice plant) with a var-yucca.Or you can type in the name and searce images for some great pics!

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 1:42AM
billn119(z5oh)

If that were my pool,,,I would place them exactly where you did,,,and I would plant one every 10 ft,,,Very nice and the palms will not harm the pool!!!Bill

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 11:23AM
gardenpearl

the palms are in a great location not too close to the pool and I would suggest pine needles for mulch looks great and has many added benefits.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 1:40AM
mnpalms(4b/5a)

Looks good to me. My palms and bananas are very close to my pool as well. Not knowing what zone you are in, I'd say it could possibly be a benefit in the winter as well. Mine are near the deep end, right next to the patio, and in the deep end, it does not freeze very thick under the mesh winter cover. We only drain 2 feet of water in the fall, otherwise the pool is pretty full. Keeps it warmer near the roots for sure. (I'm in Minnesota) I agree with the other poster, plant a bunch of them around that pool! It will look great.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™