Actinia and Edulis flavicarpa

karyn1(7a)October 19, 2007

Does the foliage on these two passies look alike? I was sent an Edulis flavicarpa earlier this year and have grown a couple Actinias from seed. The foliage looks exactly the same to me. Neither has bloomed yet but both are getting buds which also look the same. Both plants have lobed and unlobed leaves. Is one of the plants identified incorrectly? I'll post pics later but the do look identical to me.

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

This is the Edulis

This is the Actinia

Except for the edulis being much fuller they look the same to me.
Karyn

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 8:24PM
kiwinut

According to my Passiflora book, P. actinia has unlobed leaves with 4 or 6 petiole glands. Looks like you have two P. edulis plants.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 9:27PM
karyn1(7a)

That definitely doesn't look like my plant. I have to see if I can remember where I bought these so I don't buy from them again. lol I'm sure I purchased these seeds and didn't get them in a trade. This means I have something like 4 edulis plants : (
Karyn

Bookmark   October 19, 2007 at 10:34PM
passionflow(8b)

Hi Karyn
As Kiwinut correctly says you certainly do not have actinia. I have a seventy foot wide one outside so I am sure! The link to Henk's site shows the correct actinia. The link below has a key to distinguish the main two types of edulis and the red stems and tendrils in your pictures certainly suggest that the flavicarpa ID is correct anyway. Buying seed particularly on the Internet is fraught with danger. You should not buy hybrid seed because it will rarely be as good as a cutting from the parent plant and often leads to confusion and disappointment. Species seed is generally a better bet (I recomend Mauro from Brazil) but can still be hybridized and the people selling are rarely Passiflora experts and rely on those who have sold them the seed to get it right. ID of Passiflora seed is very hard anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora edulis

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
lindamarie
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™