new to peonies, need a description

vsjo(z7GA)May 20, 2006

I found a peony growing in a flower bed at the house I just bought. I know nothing about peonies but I have been reading up. I hate to admit it but I have never seen a large peony. This one has just begun to grow; it is about 6-8 inches tall. It was in a shady bed of overgrown iris. I found it when I removed the iris. I am renovating the flower beds and have removed the tree shading it. I plan to leave it and try to nurture it. I am not sure about the discussions about supports. Nothing I have read describes how they grow and how to use supports. I have been reading all the forum posts and some sites about growing, but I am still not clear about their growth habit and bloom time. I am in zone 7, near Atlanta. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayco(5b NY)

You should probably just wait to see what it is. If it's a single, for example, it likely won't need support. By removing the irises and the tree and giving it more sun you've already helped it a lot! If it has no buds by now, it may not bloom this year. Different varieties of peonies bloom at different times--usually in June. By the way, the supports aren't necessary for the plant's health--they just save the heavy double blossoms from flopping and lying on the ground. But not staking won't hurt the plant at all.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 2:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
micke(6)

If you do not see a improvement on the growth by next year, in the fall you may want to carefully dig it up and make sure it is only 2 inches below soil level. if it is very deep it will never bloom.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
walmart peonies Sorbet and Emile Debatene
Found sorbet and Emile Debatene at Walmart yesterday...
raptor1
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™