Peonies for Spring Tiphia Wasps & Bees???

carol_the_dabbler(Z5/6 Indiana)May 27, 2007

I'm looking for peonies to serve several purposes:

My top priority is providing nectar for Spring Tiphia Wasps (the larvae of which parasitize Japanese Beetle larvae). Does anyone know whether some peonies provide more/better nectar than others?

I'd also like to provide pollen for the bees. My understanding is that single (and some semi-double) peonies are by far my best bet, but that even some of those types produce little if any pollen. How do I find out which are best?

I'd prefer plants that don't go dormant in late summer. I'd love to have at least some fragrant varieties. I hope to find one or (preferably) more varieties that fulfill all of these criteria.

Advice, information, and tips regarding any or all of the above will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jayco(5b NY)

I have no idea about the wasp question. I'm not sure what you mean by the plants "going dormant" in late summer, but peonies all have a relatively short blooming season, and even if you assiduously plant varieties to cover the widest possible blooming season, you still will only get around 5-6 weeks worth of bloom. Each variety will only bloom for about a week and a half. Many are fragrant. Good luck!

Oh, and maybe you should ask this question in the bee-keeping forum...?

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 3:17PM
carol_the_dabbler(Z5/6 Indiana)

Thanks for the suggestion, Jayco.

Maybe "dormant" isn't quite the right word, but I'm talking about the leaves, not the flowers. From some preliminary reading, I have the impression that certain varieties tend to die down in the summer, especially in a dry year. I'd prefer ones that look like little green bushes till autumn.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 3:43PM
jayco(5b NY)

All of mine remain green, bushy, and decent-looking until fall. The foliage can turn a bit yellow or brownish if it's very dry, but I'd say in general they look quite presentable until fairly late on. Here's a link to a site that discusses extending the blooming season:

Here is a link that might be useful: peony blooming

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 5:01PM

Thanks for the link, Jayco. I checked out that site (The Peony Bloom Time Project), and it looks like useful information.

I agree with you, most peonies do stay nice and bushy through the summer. But I've heard that a few cultivars may not, and I'd prefer to avoid any with this tendency.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 5:23PM
rian(7va)

I've read that fernleaf (paonia tenuifolia) tend to go dormant before the end of summer leaving a hole in your border. It's the reason that I didn't buy one. I still want one though. If my rockii seedlings work, would anyone be willing to consider a trade?

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 10:11AM

Well, that's probably one to avoid, then (though they are awfully pretty). Thanks, Rian.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
Moving my Itoh peonies from IL to TN.
I dug these last November since I knew we might be...
ryseryse_2004
Peony Help, Please
Just noticed today that my Peony has clear looking...
noribnori
2015 peony blooms
Please update your peonies blooms or growth here. This...
bunti
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
any luck with peonies in Texas (7b).
I have a north east corner of my home, that gets a...
ingridjill
Sponsored Products
Peony Dragonfly Tiffany Art Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Peony Purple Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Dale Tiffany Crystal Peony Semi-Flush Mount Light Multicolor - TH90212
$245.99 | Hayneedle
Arteriors Home - Peony Lamp - 46565-166
Great Furniture Deal
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Thomaspaul Multi 3 ft. x 5 ft.
Home Depot
Madison Floral Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Glass Vase Peony Flower Arrangements (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Limes & roses magnolia wreath
Origin Crafts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™