Passion Vines that are posionous to caterpillarsi

flyingflowers7(9)October 5, 2013

I bought a passion vine at Lowes and the caterpillars died shortly after they emerged. I had the plant in my garage in a pot so I know no predators got the CATS. I don't know the name of the passion vine but it had purple flowers and rather thick leaves. I have since thrown it away. Does anyone know the names of the passion vines that are poisonous to the caterpillars?

Several years ago I had a passion vine that had beautiful
red flowers and had the same problem with it.I I returned that one to Lowe's. The only other passion vines I have bought in the past are Princess Margaret and the CATS love them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark4321_gw

I would assume that any newly purchased Passiflora (or any non-food plant) is covered with pesticide.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:44AM
flyingflowers7(9)

I had bought this particular passion vine about 2 months ago. I had hosed it off plus we have had many hard rains which should have rinsed any sprays off. The caterpillars (about 30 zebra broad wings ) just died about 4 days ago, So I have to assume something is wrong with that particular kind of passion vine.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 8:29PM
mark4321_gw

In that case one would suspect a systemic insecticide had been applied. It will not wash off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of a systemic insecticide that kills for up to 12 months

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 4:32AM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

I'm thinking like Mark is. It had to be a systemic. Some of them last for a year. Sorry to hear about your loss of zebra
(long?)wings. I have fresh p. suberosa seeds if you want to grow from scratch, they are still in the little fruits. Zebras love them, and they emerge within a month from fresh seed.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 1:35PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

There are also some passionvines that are indeed poisonous to caterpillars. I believe Red Passionvine, P. vitifolia, is one of the ones that are not recommended for Florida because, while the butterflies will lay their eggs on the vine, the caterpillars can not eat them.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Passion flower not making flowers!
Hello all! A few years ago I bought a grafted black...
patchyjack
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™