Passiflora species

nicolenanette(92019)November 17, 2006

I would like to know how to take a cutting of this plant.

A neighbor told me i could cut some of his. I only have

Passiflora caerulea. The gulf frittaleries ate it up, but i know it will pop up in the garden once again this next spring. I just would love to know how to start cuttings. Do i need to take a ziplock bag of dirt with me? Or a pot of dirt so i can cut it, and immediatly plant it and bring it directly home. THANK YOU

Nicole zone 9b.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Are you digging up a shoot or taking a cutting from the vine? I've been pretty successful rooting passiflora cuttings with a bit of rooting powder in soil using bottom heat. I've even had some varieties root in water. I don't think it's necessary to bring dirt with you, just take it home and pot it up.

Bookmark   November 17, 2006 at 8:42AM
nicolenanette(92019)

Why thank you! I hope to have maybe 3 types. We built a pergola and we have the p caerulea, and a type of jasmine. I loved the passionflower as it used the pomegranite tree, but my husband hated it. : ( again THANK YOU!!

Bookmark   November 17, 2006 at 6:10PM
farang

I have raised several Passiflora species from commercial seed, most of which seem to be true to name, but I am puzzling over this one, which was sold as P. coccinea. I have posted a picture to the Garden Web Gallery under Name That Plant, and wonder if anyone can advise. I am doing this because I have had a lot of disappointments with commercial seed - A plant raised as Mucuna bennettii (New Guinea Creeper)has just flowered - and turned out to be a rather unattractive Afgekia!

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 11:59PM
msbatt

I've had really good success in rooting passiflora cuttings using florists' foam. If you're still looking for rooting info, e-mail me and I'll give you the details.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 9:54PM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

As long as you don't let the cut ends dry out you'll be fine. Or just cut enough vine that you can nip an inch or so off the end before you stick it into whatever medium you're using.

Powdered rooting hormone rarely works for me- I use the liquid. harder to find, but it's in the water the plant sucks up to feed itself therefore gets drawn into where it needs to be to work.

I built a cloning box a long time ago- Building instructions are here.

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
lindamarie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™