Round Holes in My Peonies

jxa44May 10, 2009

hi all,

i went out this morning and noticed, just as my peony was about to bloom it had a round hole bored throughed it. I was wondering if anyone could hazard a guess as to what might be making the hole. i took the bloom off and opened it up, and there was no insect inside. i know that ants typically aren't a problem for peonies -- but we do have carpenter ants -- could they be making the holes/

j.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Not carpenter ants. They damage wood.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 11:54PM
jxa44

That's what i thought too jean, but as i watched the peonies the carpenter ants were the only ones i noticed going in and out of the holes. the peonies have both reg ants and carpenter ants on them -- which i know are after the sap -- but this hole is curious! the holes are perfectly round . . .

any guesses?????????

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 1:01PM
happyday(WI4a)

Any kids shooting BBs in your neighborhood?

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 2:16PM
jxa44

Good guess happy day! but nope, that's not it. these peonies are foundation plantings, so if it was bb shot, it should have hit the house/windows too . . .

me

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 7:00PM
maifleur01

There are several insects that cause bore holes including catapillers, some slugs, and bettles. The bud is damaged for this year perhaps it will never happen again. Too late to do anything about it except look up boring insects that attack flowers. Roses are often damaged.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:38PM
jxa44

maifleur,

thank you for your thoughts. i'm not looking to necessarily kill whatever it is that's eating my peonies. I just want to find out what the insect/worm is. i am mostly an organic gardener, so i have a very "live and let live" attitude in my garden.

Your suggestions make me think that it may be earwigs now.

that said, i had a bumper crop of peonies this season -- in northern california no less! -- so the loss of a few blooms isn't catistropic. i'm just curious as who's doing the nibbling :)

again, many thanx for your suggestions.

joyce

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
Itohs at Michigan Bulb
In case anyone is interested, MB offers the following...
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™