What are my chances for overwintering this beauty?

outinthegardenallday(Zone 7, LI,NY)November 24, 2007

Good day all. I'm going to try to insert a picture of my very first passiflora. I think she is a passiflora caerulea however she produced no fruit. This is a first year plant for me at least. I have her on the west side of my house, planted directly next to our chimney,right next to our Summer vegetable garden - hence she will get very good sun all winter long.

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/OITGAD/Flowers2005/KIF_3397.jpg[/IMG]

My plan is to leave her right where she is all winter. I read one of the suggestions posted here (actually it was the site from the gentleman in England I believe) regarding protecting the roots with some styrofoam to keep the water out and then mulching her with some leaves. My questions:

Do you think I have a snowball's chance in h**l of overwintering here? And..for those of you who feel I should give it the good ole college try...should I prune her back to the ground now or wait until April or May?

Many thanks for your responses.

Ciao,

OITGAD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
outinthegardenallday(Zone 7, LI,NY)

Sorry about that...it's been a while since I posted a picture...let me see if this works. If not...I'll go back to square one realizing that the memory cells need a bit of refreshing.

Ciao,
OITGAD

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 10:36AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I don't know about overwintering your passie up where you are, but I'm almost positive its a p. caerulea, just as you thought.
Hopefully, somebody else can answer your other question.
Sherry

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 11:39AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

That's definitely caerulea.

You might have luck overwintering her... West side near the chimney you say? Hopefully there's an actual fire in that chimney most of the winter rather than "Oh it's got a fireplace" as that will keep the ground from freezing completely solid & you might have a chance.

I spent several years up by Watertown & brought everything in... As that experience brought a whole new meaning to the term "arctic".

If the top hasn't died already I would take a few cuttings & try to root them- Keep those guys inside & if the big one dies then at least you still have something.

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 12:24PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

I agree with krstofer. It may make it in the location you have, but always take cuttings to be on the safe side.

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 7:12PM
chena(z8 Texas)

Great pic!! I don't think you should have any problem with it... some heavy mulch and positive drainage.. BUT I always take cuttings even if it has come back for yrs.. The are very easy to root and if yours makes it will ahve some to share or plant somewhere else in your yard...
Chena

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Ruby glow
My ruby has been looking weak lately. I upped the water...
tim45z10
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Passiflora 'Preciosa'
Fruit finally ripened- will check for seeds in a few...
passiefarm
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Sponsored Products
Polished Brass Finish 52-inch Ceiling Fan
Overstock.com
Crystorama Paris Flea Market Crystal 11" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Peri Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant with Opal Matte Glass
$436.50 | Bellacor
Hudson Valley Lighting | Kyle Four Light Pendant
$856.00 | YLighting
Hopson Chair - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture