tree peony with weak stems

proteinqueenfcccMay 24, 2009

Not a regular visitor to this forum but hoping for an answer for my computer phobic mother. She has a yellow tree peony, about 4 years old that is not able to hold up the flower blooms. The beautiful flowers are buried amongst the leaves. It seems to be healthy otherwise, is this a badly bred plant; is there anything (short of splinting the stems)that she can do ie, pruning, fertilizer??? I'm sorry but I don't know the cultivar or where she got it. Appreciate any insight you care to offer.

Heidi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

This is probably High Noon one of the first yellow tree peonies. It is bred to have its blooms held down as do most of Saunders plants. She can cut the flowers and float in water but nothing is going to change the plants habit. If you have a high wall you could position so the plant is next to it. I have my Alice Harding on the top of a roadside recline and thanks to the path the racoons have made it can be seen beautifully by passing motorest.

You can of course purchase on of the other yellows for her as a gift or one of the intersectionals such as Bartzella or Garden Treasure. However they have no winter beauty as their stems are herbaceous in nature and should be removed after fall freezes.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
Springhill Kirinmaru Peony
I just received Kirinmaru Peony from Springhill. The...
KarenPA_6b
Itoh fertility
I know that Itoh peonies can't bear viable seeds, but...
pompomoranda
I bought peony seeds, now what?
I bought two different types of peony seeds-I wasn't...
polypeptide
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™