Free Seeds: Passiflora 'Royale' x quadrangularis

rodrifc(10A)November 23, 2013

Hello everyone,

I just harvested five fruit from my Passiflora 'Royale' vine, and have prepared them for sowing. All the fruit were hand-pollinated with P. quadrangularis pollen, a close relative, which should make for very viable seeds. I'm going to plant a few, but I obviously can't grow them all. So if you are interested in a pack, just send me a message so that you can send me a self-addressed envelope.

I think the hybrids these seeds will produce are better for ornamental purposes, but you might be able to get some fruit off of them. Passiflora 'Royale' fruit isn't that great - it's more or less edible, but I think it has a barely noticeable strange smell. The fruit from the P. quadrangularis used as the male parent is excellent, however. I would say it's one of the best passion fruit I've tasted. It has a very good taste, and it isn't as acidic as P. edulis flavicarpa. Even the thick outer pith was very sweet and edible (in Cuba, my aunt would make a delicious dessert by blending the ENTIRE fruit - pulp and pith - and then straining the seed fragments). So this hybrid should have intermediate qualities, but you would need at least two seedlings so they can pollinate each other, or other compatible passion vines.

Passiflora quadrangularis:

Passiflora 'Royale' - P. macrocarpa x (x decaisneana)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovesangels

i would love to have some of these passiflora seeds if you have any left, i will send you sase

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 1:56AM
piksi_hk(9)

Would like to try these; LMK where to send SASE.

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 6:35PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

I know how late to this party I am, but if you have any left rodrific, I'd be up to growing out some of your lovely passions. May I ask what zone you live in? Your plants are beautiful. I can see you spend a lot of time with your collection, it really shows.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 3:52PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

PS: And your aunt's recipe would be nice if you could share. I have unripe quadrangularis cross on vine right now. Something new is tempting :)

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 3:54PM
radar2712

Just discovered this vine and I love it! I was given one as a gift and it has been flowering since Christmas. If you still have seeds available I am interested. Your vine is stunning and all your hard work and care shows. Thanks for your time.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:50AM
ily68

That is a very beautiful flower, let me know if I can still get seeds? Do you know if its a host plant for butterflies? I had a Lady Margaret passion vine, it just died this past year. I had lots of cats on it, and it was very beautiful too.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 5:08PM
morningloree(9b)

I am not sure if you still have some seeds. Can send a SASE. I am a new collector in Central Florida. I am growing Passiflora Lunametista, Elizabeth, Coral Glow, Coral Seas, and P. loefgrennii.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 11:22PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

Morninggloree,
I have this plant and will tell you, that because the flower is closed slightly, I have not seen many butterflies on it. Ants seem to pollinate it. However, if you are into Butterfly gardening and passionflowers, this link does offer passion flowers for Butterfly Gardeners:
http://www.trumpetflowers.com/sales/sales-other-plants-seeds.htm#passiflora

If you continue to scroll down, they also sell seeds that are fresh, a necessity with Passion flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Flower plants and seeds

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 12:53

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 12:51PM
morningloree(9b)

Thanks for the great link.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 9:38PM
gin7

I would love to have the recipe, my mother used to talk about this too. but she never acquired it, before leaving Cuba. Also, do you know if you would get fruit from crossing the P. quadrangularis together, or is that not possible? I'm new to the passion flowers.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 10:19AM
arden_gw

Hi

I would love to have some seeds..if still available.

Thank you
Christine

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:34AM
mzRea(8)

Hi rodrifc,

If you have any free passifilora Royale x quad, please i would likt to have some of the seeds.
Thanks!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 3:38PM
pauma06

I love this passiflora, in my country, Colombia, it name is Badea and it is used for make drinks and desserts.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 1:59PM
medaroberts(8)

Would you have any of these seeds left? I would love to have some. Where can I send sase to?

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 5:41PM
merkity

any chance you have seeds for your P. quadrangularis? :) thank you!

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:25AM
Dahlia523(9)

I would love to receive seeds from this beauty when you have some available. Thank you

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:42PM
HarrisonF(6a)

Do you have any seeds left? I sent you an email!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Passion flower not making flowers!
Hello all! A few years ago I bought a grafted black...
patchyjack
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Passiflora Manta
I have a new little Passiflora Manta, and it had only...
seaecho1
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Passiflora 'Preciosa'
Fruit finally ripened- will check for seeds in a few...
passiefarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™