Passiflora Tuberosa Photos...

passionlove(z 9 FL)November 23, 2009

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to post some photos of Passiflora Tuberosa. This was the first time it bloomed for me and there are rarely any photos of it, so I thought I would share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nivolle(OK7)

Oh My!!!!! The camera shots are equally beautiful! Good work.

Constance

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 9:12PM
ethane(9 FL)

Very nice, might I ask how you came by this plant? Did you start it from seed or find it in the wild?

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 2:33AM
mark4321_gw

Hi Passionlove,

I'm curious what else you can tell us--anything actually. In particular, is it tuberous and do cuttings grow tubers? Is it deciduous?

I also noticed that it seems to have produced a ton of pollen. Are you having some fun with that?

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 11:12AM
eristal(9)

Hello Liza,

Great pics! I especially like how you captured the great leaf color. I can't wait for mine to bloom!

Ethan, we both obtained this plant at Butterfly World at the PSI meeting.

mark4321, there is almost no information online or in books about this plant, so a lot of those questions are still a mystery to me. I can tell you that mine has a sucker, but that may or may not be indicative of being tuberous. I have not yet taken cuttings, nor has it died back at all, but Crystal did transplant it into a new, larger planter, so she may know whether the roots are tuberous or not. I'll ask her tonight, though Liza may know, as well. I hope she chimes in here, as I am very curious as to what more she can tell us from her experience so far.

Eric

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 3:53PM
passionlove(z 9 FL)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the compliments!
Yeah I did transplant the Passiflora tuberosa (tuberous Passionflower) into a bigger pot, but I was not able to tell if the roots in fact are tuberous. The soil was so compacted, and I didn't want to mess with and risk breaking the root system. I'm sure Crystal and Eric can attest to the compacted soil, lol. I have also not taken any cuttings from it yet. Any reading that I have found does suggest that it is tuberous, hence the name.

It has done quite well here. Even though I can see it wilts quite a bit during the heat and perks up in the evening and when it is cooler. Again, I'm not sure if it is deciduous, but I'll keep everyone updated as I learn more about this lovely passie.

This photo was the first flower that opened on this vine, and I haven't gotten a chance to do any pollination, but I can't wait to try.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 5:44PM
lavenderlilly(zone 5-6)

It's truly gorgeous!!! You must be so excited! I gotta find this one!

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Lavender Lady Bloom in January
Its a bit beaten up due to weather...
merkity
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™