Rotate Pots?

saleveneJanuary 15, 2014

Hi All,

I decided to try going a plant on my balcony (receives 4-6 hours of sun per day). Its turning out to be one of my most healthy plants.

I was wondering if I should be rotating the pot? Here are some recent pics (I had actually just rotated it 90 degrees to the right before taking the pic).

Any advice/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks you,
Stephen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

I do. it keeps them from leaning toward the sun too much. it's a bigger deal when the plants are young and don't have a woody stem yet.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 12:50PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

I do occasionally. If the sunlight is from one direction only the shaded leaves tend to drop and you get a lopsided plant. That's really only a problem, though, when the plant gets large enough to shade out its own leaves.

Another consideration is heating of the roots. I don't think this is really a problem with ceramic pots such as yours, but with black plastic it can be a concern. I don't know how rotation would affect that.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 5:10PM
Phildeez(9b)

If you want to for aesthetic purposes feel free but a plant dropping its shaded leaves is a healthy process that makes a lot of sense. Many people will pinch shaded leaves before the plant drops following a theory that it saves the plant energy and time, but I am skeptical of going that far.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 5:07AM
More Discussions
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
When To Plant Out ---2015
When To Plant Out ? By that I am not looking for a...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™