moving peonies now

janeth_50(z6MO)May 2, 2012

I know that you should move peonies in the fall, but my sister is moving out of state next week. How deep do I plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The top of the roots should not be deeper than two inches anywhere. Here in California the top of the roots is AT ground level, if we expect regular blooming. Al

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Plant them a bit high--to allow for the soil to sink down when you water and the moist soil also drags down the peony also. I grew up in peony country (up north)--we were always told to plant the eyes about 1/2 inch from the top. Water. And the eyes will end up no deeper than 1 to 1.5 inches--which was considered the ideal depth where I grew up.

You can also dig up the peony along with a big round rootball around the roots. Then ease it into a slightly bigger hole--but make sure the top (where the eyes are located) is about 1/2 inch above the soil line. Then water in slowly and deeply. That will drag the rootball down to the correct depth for growing peonies. The advantage of this method is that the peony doesn't really register that it was moved and it will often bloom the next spring, although not heavily. If you go bareroot, it will sometimes take a couple years for the peony to actually bloom.

Kate

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
New to peonies and have some questions!
I'd like to add some peonies to my garden this year...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Herbacious peony growing with tree peony
I have a tree peony in my garden that is 4/5 yrs old...
raptor1
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™