Starting tree peony from cuttings, crazy?

haveatry2(Zone 7)May 9, 2010

Starting tree peony from cuttings, seems crazy?

I am now trying it. Twenty softwoods, cut off just after blossom, with some small axillary buds on it. 3/2 forliages off. Put in a transparent closed frame in the room, some scattered light. Medium is peat and sands. Some ABT hormone used. Any suggestions?

Actually, I tried tree peony cuttings the year before last with some success. That were in Oct. , semi hardwood, no leafs. 16/40 rooted in the next Jan..I sent it back to my farther, transplanted in my hometown, all died. Pity.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

Before the age of rapid transportation tp's and other plants were handled as cutting. The books that I have tell you to handle as any other cutting but do not mention hard or soft wood. I personally think it was semisoft wood since most mention June as the month to do the cuttings. Probably rather than scattered light darkness.

Currently there is a method circulating where you remove one of the leaf axels and the press the ruff velcro patch of about an inch by an inch patch dipped in AABT?? hormone into the stem. Am waiting results.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 1:22AM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

Thanks for the info.
Actually, in China, tree peony cutting is suggest to be in Oct, while you just mentioned June.
I am wondering, why there is such a big difference.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 2:34AM
maifleur01

Probably what worked in each area the best. It could be several different things including green or older wood but I would be guessing because I do not have a book detailing Chinese processes. Wish I did but those I have found have been in Chinese.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 10:42PM
haveatry2(Zone 7)

I am chinese, and got a partly success to make cuttings root.
So I am interested in the other way,cutting in May and June, why not have a try?

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
New at growing peonies
Hi, I LOVE peonies, but I am new at growing them. After...
dizzylizzy415
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™