Peonies under trees?

michelle_co(z5 CO)May 14, 2014

Hi,

I have some huge old elm trees in my yard. There is a bed to the side of them that gets pretty good morning and afternoon sun - maybe some light shade mid-day. There are definitely tree roots everywhere... The bed is slightly raised above the lawn level, about 3-4 inches. I try to keep the soil amended to help my perennials compete with the trees.

Is it worth trying peonies in a bed like this? I need to divide and move peonies from a different spot, and part of the appeal of this new location is the house blocks the wind. Currently the peonies take a beating in their spot which is more sunny, but too windy. Most years the wind shatters the blooms.

Thanks,
Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

They will probably do OK under that much shade. Tree roots will always be a problem as the surface water causes tree root growth where ever there is moisture. Peonies do have pretty aggressive root system which I think will compete as good as any other plant in your exposure. Al

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Thanks, I think I'll put in divisions from my more aggressive growers and see what happens.

I would really like to remove the trees, but they do give a lot of great shade. And at the moment, are dropping evil baby elm seeds everywhere... Ugh!

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Sinking peonies
Most of my peonies are in raised beds, which over the...
calistoga_al
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
Mulching peonies with limestone chips
Does anyone mulch their peonies with limestone chips...
enith
late in life experiment
After putting it off forever, I finally decided to...
bragu_DSM 5
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™