Thrips or Botyris on my peony buds?

BellportMay 19, 2005

All of my peonies are new. I think Mons. Jules Elie (currently in a "root control bag", not planted) is afflicted by one or the other. Same with Chiffon Clouds (planted in ground last fall). On Chiffon, the buds started forming, and then just stopped growing and shriveled up. This is the case with half of the buds on Mons Jules. Very upsetting!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DianeKaryl(z5ONT)

Signs of botrytis ....a bit of fuzz at the stem's base and if they fall over might be attributed to this fungal disease.
You are advised to cut away all signs of damage and burn.........or garbage the refuse. Do not compost.

Thrips cause the leaves to become streaky...washed out looking. If you suspect this, place a sticky pest strip near the plant. Plants that are blue will draw thrips.

If suspicion warrants, use a 40 to 1 solution water/soap....wash the plant top to bottom, bottom to top, then wait for 10 minutes. Rinse well.

If the plant is in bloom, do the leaves but not the bloom.
Rinse after 5 minutes.

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 10:43PM
Bellport

Thank you Diane! I will check for fuzz at the base tomorrow morning and follow your procedure.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 6:54PM
diannp

Do a web search on bud blast... It's most likely your problem.

Diann
IA Z5a

Troubleshooting a common problem

The buds start to grow in spring, but they stay very tiny and die. What's wrong?

This is a condition called "bud blast" Â the flower buds grow about the size of a small pea but then stop growing and fail to open. Possible causes include poor soil fertility, planting too deeply, too much shade, dry spells or cold injury.

Colder-than-normal winters followed by late spring frosts can abort the buds of mature and new plants. In this case, the best remedy is to protect the clumps with winter mulch (fall leaves or Christmas tree boughs work well) applied in late fall or early winter after cutting down the previous season's foliage.

Bud blast often occurs in newly planted peonies. Because these plants form their buds in the fall, a clump that has been divided has a much-reduced root system that sometimes doesn't have the strength to develop all the buds, and so they just dry up. This problem goes away as the plant matures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bud Blast

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 2:54PM
YCunnington(Zone 5 Ontario)

See the link below if you did not find the "bud blast" info.

Cheers, Yvonne

Here is a link that might be useful: peony problems, including bud blast

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 1:11PM
diannp

Thank you, Yvonne! It's always good to hear from people that know and grow peonys. :) So now what does one do about cladiosporum (sp)? Thanks!

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   January 7, 2006 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Itoh peony Early Arrival
I purchased this plant 5 years ago, from a reputable...
beverlymnz4
Any ideas what kind of peony is this one?
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows ( or guesses ) the peony...
AlexUnder
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
cumulus_nimbus
Sponsored Products
Signature Plus Mail Post with Flower Box
Grandin Road
Cortland Ceiling Fan by Hunter Fans
$240.00 | Lumens
Foscarini | New Buds 1 Suspension Lamp
$984.00 | YLighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Collection Blue 5 ft.
Home Depot
Bay Window 5/8-inch Adjustable Rod Set
Overstock.com
Centennial Rubbed Bronze One-Light Bath Fixture with Tea Stone Glass
$36.00 | Bellacor
Lynx Outdoor Refrigerator
FRONTGATE
72" Arrey Teak Double Vanity for Semi-Recessed Sinks
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™