Can anyone id?

brodyjames_gwMay 31, 2013

Hi,
I usually hang out on the Cactus and Succulent and House Plant forums, so I am a new poster here. Can anyone id this plant? Thanks for any help!

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbest1(5)

It looks to have skinny leaves like one of the fernleaf hybrids, doesn't look red enough for Early Scout but similar foliage....are the petals really that sparse? How tall is the plant/big is the bloom? Do you have other peonies and have any of them bloomed yet (is it earlier/later than a know variety)?
Maybe someone else might know right away which variety it is, I'm not knowledgable enough on the different peonies to help much, sorry!

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:50PM
brodyjames_gw

I didn't know this had bloomed, so was late in getting a picture. The blooms are usually a little fuller, are magenta in color and normally "sit" atop the bush. This particular bush is tiny, but if I remember correctly, the bush can get 2-3 ft. tall and 2-3 ft. in diameter. The normal bloom is about 4 inches in diameter. I have other peony varieties that I purchased last year, but as of May 18th, this was the only bloom on ANY of them.
Could it possibly be Paeonia tenuifolia?

Nancy

This post was edited by brodyjames on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 0:47

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 12:37AM
lizbest1(5)

I don't think the leaves are quite right for a true fernleaf but it certainly could be a hybrid. I'm going from pictures, though--hopefully someone out there with fernleafs can help out. You might want to start a new post with Is This a Fernleaf? or something similar in the title to catch their attention. Regardless, it's a very pretty and unusual looking poeny!

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:33PM
brodyjames_gw

Thanks, I will try that!

Nancy

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
planting bareroot peonies in Jan
Received my order from Charmarron Gardens a couple...
raptor1
Wild Peony (Paeonia mascula) Update:
Hi, Last September I have got 20 Paeonia mascula seeds...
cumulus_nimbus
Peony sorbet and karl
I recently got some sorbet and karl rosenfield, i've...
kaesgarden
Adelman's Itoh Offerings for 2015
Has anyone seen Adelman's new peony catalog yet? They...
lizbest1
bare root peonies - when to plant?
Well, its that time of year in the northeast when I...
frances_in_nj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™