Areca ID help needed

bomgMarch 6, 2011

Hello.

The following plant was sold to me as an Areca catechu dwarf. Can someone please verify the ID of this plant for me? TIA.

This is the trunk.

I notice it has petioles and belatedly read that dwarfs don't have any.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Its definitely some kind of Areca catechu. It might be the normal form (it probably is), but it could also be the dwarf. Since it has the petioles, Im going to say that its the normal form. Its a beautiful palm either way! I tried growing one as a potted plant, but it just couldnt take the dry weather we have in the fall and spending time indoors.
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 12:46AM
bomg

Thanks tropicalzone! Sorry to hear about your palm, though.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 6:52PM
hatemajestypalms

I looked around on ebay and saw this areca catechu yellow fruited form (dwarf form?) price is $50 (w/o shipping it is $30). Should I buy it? I could have it in a bright sunny south facing bedroom window and give it a shower every week and will do my best to never let it dry out (I killed a plant once because of overwatering, so I will keep a good eye on it and place it in a plastic white pot to prevent overheating and drying out. The issue is humidity, i don't have alot of time to get a new humidifier by spring, but by winter 2014 I should have one. I hear they spot up at 45-50, so could I keep it out at night when temps are at 55-60? Or is 60 the cutoff?

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
growing Dypsis lutescens indoors bad idea?
I hear they are really bad indoor plants, What is ideal...
YouthGarden
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™