For you people crazy about COCOS

orchiddude(+7b ALabama)March 12, 2013

I found this link, anyone growing the cold hardy type?

http://www.seabreezenurseries.com/ColdHardyCoconutPalms.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

Beccariophoenix alfredii is not a coconut, just a palm that looks like a coconut. Calling it a "cold hardy coconut" is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy it. lol

Beccariophoenix is still not hardy enough for me. I had one outside that got slaughtered by 24f, luckily i kept one inside, hopefully they get some more hardiness with age.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:17PM
orchiddude(+7b ALabama)

I guess they call it that cause it looks similiar to the coco tree. It was new to me. If its a fast grower that would be nice.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 7:07AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Its more cool hardy than coconut palms so it gives people in coastal California the chance to have a coconut looking palm (or at least a ultra-tropical looking palm). Actual cold tolerance is only into the upper 20s at best, maybe mid 20s when older. They are beautiful palms though and I'd consider getting one if I was in the tropics.

From what I hear they are pretty slow growing especially when compared to coconut palms which are definitely one of the faster growing pinnate frond palms!
-Alex

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:03AM
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

Coconuts are much faster growing and they handle being indoors better inmo.
For Alabama i would get a mule palm for the coconut look alike. But you probably know that. lol

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 2:05PM
orchiddude(+7b ALabama)

Any feather leaf type palm is welcome in Alabama. If they like being in a pot, its even better.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 10:08PM
3.2Whites

My husband and I nickednamed it, the fauxconut, or Ooh, the Foh-coh. lol. Ours is still small enough to keep in a pot on the front porch, sweet little baby palm. I think it was a poster named Zeeth who got us interested by his/her enthusiasm for it. We purchased it online from MB palms. We met them in person at the FIT botanical fest and they are sure good folks, purchased another palm at their booth...just super nice people there.

Seabreeze are good folk, too. I don't know how to say enough good things about them. Justen and Derek, if you are reading this....you're both wonderful and so are all the palms we've purchased from you....fat, healthy, and beautiful!

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
Mexican Fan Palm Frond Tips are Black/Brown
Hello, I noticed yesterday that my Mexican Fan Palm...
eemedrelyt
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™