Peony ring too short?

gfult(6)June 10, 2005

Hi, I am a first time Peony owner. I used a peony ring but we had a big thunderstorm just as they were blooming and they are all bent way over like many of the photos I've seen in this forum.

Can I do anything to help them now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Heh... I had the same problem. Armed with a peony ring grid, I quickly discovered that it was too short. I sortof chalked it up but may look for the taller (or even adjustable) rings. Alternately, people often put those cheapie 3ft tomato cages around them as they tend to be useless for tomatoes but might provide enough height for the taller peony flower stems.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 10:34AM
raptorfan(z5 Ont, Cda)

Same happened here...my mom (the real gardener) joined some stout sticks together with an unraveled wire hanger to create a kind of fence panel. She lifted them up & put this in around the peony and they're standing up wonderfully and you really can't see the contraption under the foliage. I imagine you could use twine or some other strong material. looks like: 1~1~1
hope this helps!

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 12:25PM
Patrick888(z8 SeaTac WA)

I use the 3' foot tomato cages...but most of mine don't need that much height to the cage, so I cut the vertical wires just above the lowest ring and use the upper portion to cage my peonies. At about $1 apiece, they're sure a lot cheaper than peony rings. In no time at all, the foliage totally hides the cages. I even find the occasional use for the single "hoop with legs" that is left after I shorten the cages.

Patrick

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 12:32AM
gfult(6)

Thanks everyone. I will experiment today. The poor things are almost touching the ground but they are still so beautiful they take my breath away!

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 7:43AM
PAT38915(Z7, MS)

ive been trying to find peony rings, so you have given me a good idea about the tomato cages, where do you look for the real thing, ive checked home depot and found nothing there..i have peonys creeping thru and wondered if this is the time to place the ring there...thanks

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 11:21AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I saw the 'real' peony rings in a tractor/farm/country type of store...Rural King to be exact.

There were 2 different ones...one fairly cheap (probably won't work well) and others that were quite expensive, though I can't remember figures on them.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
light requirements for Sorbet Peonies
Just ordered 4 from Michigan Bulb and the planting...
420benz
Desperate for Peonies in Texas
I would like to add peonies to my Central Texas garden,...
vuwugarden
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Peony Molly the Witch
Hello - I planted a super root 2 years ago. Last year...
furbank
seedy advice
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™