peonies not blooming fully

lilies4meJune 20, 2007

Hello...I posted a question several days ago about peonies that produce loads of blooms but only a few actually bloom. No one has answered which puzzles me because other rooms I frequent have lively dialog, suggestions and tips. Am I going to the wrong garden room? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judyefd(6ma/4vt)

This is usually an active time for this forum (fall too). I just don't feel qualified to answer your question.

How old is your peony? My younger ones often put out more buds than actually open up. Each year the number increases.

Peonies are ALWAYS worth the wait!
Judye

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 2:54PM
rian(7va)

Careful removal of foliage after it dies down in the fall prompt removal of blighted flowers, more sun and better air circulation usually help prevent the loss of blooms due to fungal problems. Peonies are prone to this kind of disease in rainy or humid climates, I think.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 8:25PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Another possibility might be very cold (freezing) temps after some of the buds had gotten to a certain stage were damaged.

I experienced that this spring, with a very late, very cold, very short snap of freezing temps. As a result, most plants had far fewer blooms than normal.

Maybe? Just a thought.....

Sue

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Ask: Is this a peony?
Hi, three weeks ago i purchased peony seeds online....
rafflesia
I'm So Bored!
Why does this winter feel SSSSOOOO LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGGG??...
lizbest1
Peonie won't bloom
My mom dug up an old white peonie at an old home site...
Derby42 zone 6
Double Pink Fernleaf
I have seen the most beautiful pink double fernleaf,...
KarenPA_6b
Tree Peonies from Songsparrow
Well I just placed an order to Songsparrow Nursery...
peonyman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™