water collection

garden_fun123April 13, 2013

Hi,

I have a natural spring that runs underneath my property. My pump activates every few hours and even though we are in the midst of a terrible drought, I still have water that is pumped out. My pump went out this week and before replacement (probably 2 days before we noticed), there was a good 5 feet of standing water in the entire root cellar. Can anyone recommend good sites that discuss using this type of water source in collection systems for use in grey water or garden systems?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I'm not sure I get the question, but if it's just ground water leaking into a cellar, it should be fine to pump it into the garden. If it might have encountered a septic tank or otherwise you believe it might be contaminated by human sewage, then you would want to be more careful, such as draining into a mulch basin near trees or a gravel field planted with non-edibles. One thing you don't want for sure is water sitting around.

And your state or municipality is likely to have it's own opinion of appropriate greywater practices.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 5:53AM
More Discussions
making my first swale
Hi,people! I think the best solution to my erosion/run-off...
bart_2010
Moringa Oleifera - Where can I find it?
Does anyone know where I can find Moringa Oleifera...
socaligarden
duck/chicken scratch yard in TX
Hi all, I'm currently raising chickens and will be...
leahsurfer
Setting up water cistern for local school-need help!
Hi, My son is trying to set up a water cistern as his...
henrodstone
Grapes in trees
I've been asking this in some of the other forums,...
tjasko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™