Plants for a Rain Garden?

louky(6b)April 12, 2009

I'm steadily developing permaculture practices in my yard, in a older subdivision (1940's). I have completely converted my back yard to "practicality" (no grass left), and am gradually working more on my front yard, not wanting to freak the neighbors out too quickly, but with long term plans for having little or no grass there either. I have dug a rain garden of about 200 square feet and planted a cherry and a dwarf apple in it so far, and a, looking for suggestions for more permaculture or guild plants. Most of the knowledge or rain garden planting around here dictates using native plants, but I have a goal of using only edible plants, (either for me or the rabbist or chickens) in the rain garden. Does anyone have suggestions for perennials, that would form a loose guild, that are edible? Zone 6, mostly sunny.

Thanks, Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gratefulgardener3300

Blueberries work great. I used them for every rain garden that I built. The great thing about the rg is that there are different areas to it that can accomodate almost anything you want to grow. If you think of the garden as a saucer than there is the lower area that will be very wet, and area a little higher up around the edge that will not be/stay as moist and the outer edge that will be fairly dry. So obviously the plants that can handle a lot of water go on the inside and those that need drier soils can be planted around the edges. I never did a totally edible rain garden but I'm interested in how it comes out.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 12:49PM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

It seems to me that there are few plants that WOULDN'T work well in a rain garden. The two most important things would be suitability for your climate, and placement in or around the basin.

Sue

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 2:38PM
tasymo

Asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb, and sorrel are all perennials I've had good luck with here in Michigan. This year I'm trying Cardoons. Don't forget herbs, both culinary (Sage, Thyme, Peppermint, Chives, Lemonbalm, Oregano, Chamomile, Lavender, etc.) and medicinal (Comfrey, Yarrow, Feverfew, Motherwort, etc.) My chickens LOVE Comfrey. Queenanne's Lace (wild carrot) is another plant you could easily grow for the chickens and rabbits. Kathy

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Urban permaculture home for sale - Portland, OR
Have worked to make the yard around our beautiful home...
PDXbrian
Setting up water cistern for local school-need help!
Hi, My son is trying to set up a water cistern as his...
henrodstone
suburban yard - several species in small area
in this pic in my backyard i have papaya, passionflower,...
greenman62
Advice Needed: Rainbarrel series plumbing
Hi, I haven't been on here in a while and never posted...
KateRL
grant for permaculture enterprises app due Jan 14, 2015
As you may know, for the last year, our company TGI...
wrcinashfield
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™