Edible tulip bulbs?

lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)April 30, 2007

I've got some spent tulips in my yard that aren't worth saving and I've read that they are edible. Has anyone actually tried eating them? Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pablo_nh(z4/5 NH)

according to woodenshoe.com :

"All parts of tulips are edible and the bulb can be substituted for onions (although they are a little more expensive and less flavorful). The petals have little taste but can be used to garnish a dish, chop a few petals and throw them in a salad, sugar them to decorate a cake or use the entire flower for a fruit bowl, pinching out the pistil and stamen in the middle. "

I heard that the Dutch ate tulip bulbs in hard times of WW2- not substituting for onions- just eating them. That made it sound horrible, but I guess they'd be good cooked (maybe like a shallot?)

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 10:54AM
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

I think I'm going to roast them up next time I do roasted vegetables. I'm wondering if one time of year is better than another for harvesting them? Can't find any more information on them than the fact that they are edible. Not a good sign, lol! Just because you CAN eat something doesn't mean it's delectible. I'll report back when and if I manage to try them.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 11:36AM
new2gardenfl(Z9 CentralFL)

Years ago, I met someone from Holland. He talked about how his relatives ate tulip bulbs to stay alive. According to them, they tasted like cra*, but it was better than nothing. Desperate times....

I hope they are organic if you are going to eat them.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 9:46PM
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

Report on eating tulips: they have absolutely no taste. At best they taste like cornstarch, because that's probably what they are, pure starch. I cooked them in a mixed fry of an onion, some yukon gold potatoes, white mushrooms, a few wild onion bulbs from the yard, some sundried tomatoes and some season salt. It was good, but the tulip bulbs had no taste.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 5:00PM
zorba_the_greek(9)

I knew someone who boiled tulips and ate them. She and her mother had to go to the hospital. I think you had better check your sources on edibility.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Setting up water cistern for local school-need help!
Hi, My son is trying to set up a water cistern as his...
henrodstone
Tropical Swales
Hello, Anyone in the humid tropics ? Making a move...
Cdub44
Wild Grapes with Black Rot
So, on the margin of my back yard I have some wild,...
Mordraug
Volunteer Wanted at Off-Grid B&B in Missouri, USA
I'm in my 6th year of building a sustainable bed &...
MayaCreek
Compost Water Heated Greenhouse
Just spent a minute modifying my compost water heater...
Brian_Knight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™