Sheep in the Orchard/on the Lawn

unkledonApril 5, 2011

Does anyone have experience using sheep to mow the lawn? I didn't have to mow the lawn but once last year--just to trim up the rough spots. I've been experimenting--first staking my two ewes out on the lawn. That worked fine, but when they lambed, the two baby ewes ran free around the house and started eating roses and some other plants. Four is too much trouble to stake out, so I used electric netting, which worked well, but was a bit expensive for the area I need to fence. So, I used electric tape, but they have been busting through it. I will try to "train" them to the electric poly tape better first. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try using deer repellent spray. Since sheep are related to deer, if I spray the roses, they may be not so tasty--supposed to work for three weeks.

Then, in my orchards, theoretically if I spray the trees (most are semi-dwarf and so low that the sheep can eat the leaves) the sheep should leave the trees and berries alone and just eat the grass on the ground. That should work for the week or so that it will take to clean the grass and weeds out of the orchard.

I'll post when I have solutions to my question. If anyone has experience with this, I'd like to know.

Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

"I used electric netting, which worked well, but was a bit expensive for the area I need to fence."

You don't need to fence your entire 100 acres! ;-)

Use your netting to form a series of rotating pastures. That may also assist in getting the sheep to eat most of the weeds, rather than just picking out their favorites and letting the rest go to seed.

Are you familiar with Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms? Brilliant farmer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Polyface Farms

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 9:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcstampyd

I agree with belgianpup...and Polyface Farms. I use rotating pastures and it works great! I have Angora goats. But its the same concept.

Maybe only put your sheep in the orchard, during the time of year that the leaves are off the trees. So they eat just the grass...Unless they peel the bark off... Then definitely don't do that! good luck!

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Volunteer Wanted at Off-Grid B&B in Missouri, USA
I'm in my 6th year of building a sustainable bed &...
mayacreek
Arracacia xanthorrhiza/Arracacha
I read about Arracacia xanthorrhiza aka Arracacha in...
timetraveler
Florida Permaculture Design Course 2015
March 16-27, 2015 At Kashi Ashram, 11155 Roseland Road,...
sustainablekashi
Wild Grapes with Black Rot
So, on the margin of my back yard I have some wild,...
Mordraug
Raised bed HugelKulture?
Hi all! I'm still reading, so this might have been...
CEFreeman
Sponsored Products
Wusthof Kitchen Shears
$19.95 | FRONTGATE
Bronze Celestial Kinetic Garden Stake
$49.99 | zulily
Campania International Relais Small Cast Stone Urn Planter - P-576-AL
$249.99 | Hayneedle
Cashmere Cable Knit Throw
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
6 Player Croquet Set With 24" Handles
Fifthroom.com