Hugulkultur Bed - (pics)
Here is a hugulkultur bed I built a few weeks ago. Will be planting Pumpkins, Squash, watermelons and cucumbers in it. The cucumbers and Zucchini (trombonico) are vining and will be grown on the north west side of the bed on a trellis system I plan to install along the entire NW side. The pumpkins and watermelons will be planted halfway up that side as well but allowed to roam up over the top and down the SE side. The plants should run south and east towards the sun, that is direction most of the pumpkins grew last year in the same spot (minus the hugelkultur bed)
Digging begins, I dug out 60% and piled the dirt on the other 40%
Raked that potrion out into a smooth bowl shape.
Added the big logs.
Smaller sticks on top. I had a mix of really decayed stuff, newer stuff and slightly aged stuff.
Sod laid upside down on the wood. All the wood was maple or apple.
I also put a couple wheelbarrels full of 85% done compost on top of the sod and in around the gaps and edges, was running out of daylight so I focused on working instead of picture taking. This is with the first 60% basically finished.
I finished in the dark, here is a finished picture from the next day. The bed runs from where I am standing NE to the end of the bed is SW. But more N-S than E-W if that makes sense. I gues you would say it North/NE to South/SW.
How did I do for my first hugelkutur bed?